Recent Bat Group News…
South Lancashire Bat Group was set up in 1987 to study, conserve and promote interest in bats in our area. We are an active group made up of enthusiastic volunteers who conduct lots of activities and surveys throughout the year (see the ‘events’ section of this website). If you’d like to get involved or find out more about bats in our area please get in touch, we’re always happy to welcome new members or help people with anything to do with bats!
As a Registered Charity our aims are:
1. To advance the protection and conservation of bats, their roosts, feeding areas, hibernacula and surrounding environment in South Lancashire and neighbouring counties.
2. To educate the public and the group’s members in all matters related to bats, including the production of literature and dissemination of the useful results of research data
Our regular activities include:
- Educating the public and others about bats and bat conservation,
- Visiting bat roosts to advise and reassure householders,
- Undertaking survey and project work for enjoyment and to identify important habitats,
- Publicising our conservation activities,
- Rehabilitation of injured and grounded bat for return to the wild,
- Carrying out numerous bat walks and talks,
- Attending country events with an information and gift stall,
- Implementing and monitoring bat box schemes,
- Having the occasional drink with our fellow bat conservationists on social events!